Skip to main content

Pad Thai Eyes In Bangkok

When you are new in a place, or in my case a country, you see things for the first time and they are wondrous and amazing. Mostly. But what if you couldn't see any of it? 

In the past few months, I have got to know some of the awesome team at People Eye Care Foundation. The PECF hold monthly eye care camps in rural areas and have helped restore eyesight in 37,000 people over the past 27 years in Thailand.

I know you are thinking how in the dickens did you go from refugees to the blind in the blink of an eye? Well, let me save that for another day, except to say that when I see an organisation that is all Heart with a capital H, I am happy to do my bit...

Mr Nicholas Bear serves up Pad Thai at his Press Conference with a little help from his friends at the British Club, Bangkok.
So today my bit is to share their story with my friends and readers around the world. It would be hard to live in Thailand with no vision. Just take walking around for a start. This country must be a world leader in uneven pavements and trip hazards, there is more than one of us ladies walking around with broken bones and bruises caused by not seeing what was ahead.

Oh, how sad if you were unable to see the vibrancy of life in Thailand, the smiles of its beautiful people, or the blue waters of its amazing beaches.
Talking of beautiful smiles, have you met my new Bear friend? He's called Mr Nicholas Bear and we can relate, he's been displaced too. He was born in China, but educated and worked as a fundraiser in England, before moving to Thailand.  He was one of many stars at the recent Pad Thai Eyes press conference where he launched his fundraising video.

Thai Capital TV presenter Raine Grady and to the right Khun Fox
Just to give you a visual on him here he is above with Khun Fox who brought him alive by stepping into his body. He said it was a sweaty and suffocating role, so on this day, Mr. Nicholas Bear sat quietly amongst us. His video shows however that given the chance he's quite the Bear about Bangkok in his new role as the chief fundraiser for The People Eye Care Foundation!

We see Mr Nicholas Bear in a Tuk Tuk, at The British Embassy and eating Pad Thai at The Blue Elephant Restaurant, Bangkok. Where his friends suggest that if everyone donated a small amount of money each time they ate Pad Thai, this would result in money to Pad Thai Eyes after each operation. 

The People Eye Care Foundation place a pad over the eyes to protect them whilst healing - clever hey?

It's hard not get caught up in the excitement of the #PadThaiEyes especially when we are introduced to some of the individuals whose lives have been changed by very little money really.


Thai Celebrities, TV Presenters Andrew Biggs and Miss Universe 2005 Natalie Glebova
So without further ado, let me introduce Mr Nicholas Bear's video. What do you think? Feel free to share it too with your local communities. 



You can join me on my Little Wren Facebook page 
and share directly from here too.


Linking with Our World Tuesday








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hello Summer 2023!

Hello Everyone I hope you are having a wonderful July whereever you are in the world. As it's been a wee while since I stopped by I thought I'd fill you in.  The last three months have been epic. Here is my flight schedule alone: Phuket --> Bangkok --> Singapore --> Melbourne --> Gold Coast (overland to --> Brisbane --> Sydney --> Phuket --> Bangkok --> London --> Paris (overland to Montpellier) --> London. As they say I haven't been everywhere yet but it's on my list! April ended up being an incredible month as I returned to Australia, thanks to a wonderful invite to attend a 7 night Detox at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat in Queensland. Here is a little excerpt:  Gwinganna Detox Program I’ve been invited to join a  seven-night detox program  at Gwinganna Lifestyle Retreat. They are winners of the  World’s Best Eco Spa Awards  (2022 World Spa Awards) and it is beyond exciting. Well, until I read the small print… So it’s no gluten, dairy,

Autumn Spice and everything nice!

Hey, what ever happened to Summer? I hope yours was lovely, mine was pretty amazing! It feels like my whole year has whizzed past in a flash, how about yours?  I've had a year of saying "yes" to everything offered to me. It has been exciting to put it out to the Universe to see where I should be. We feel very fortunate to be able to do this in my husband's early years of retirement. I'm just back in Asia from the US. I never feel my year is quite right without seeing British daffodils in the Spring and a pumpkin and the leaves turning in Autumn. Yay, the world nailed it this year, thank you.  Read on to find out what happened when my ultimate yes occurred on a trip to Montana to meet Ruth, an IG friend. I know Bloggers will smile and not be at all concerned, we've been meeting up around the globe for years, haven't we...?!  But let's just say some of my family and friends were, you're doing what?! But first some Little Wren updates! France I had so

It's a funny old world!

Welcome to Racha Island Hello everyone and greetings from Phuket, Thailand THAILAND THOUGHTS Thailand where we have now reopened the country and are ready to welcome international fully vaccinated arrivals without quarantine to our beautiful island.  For all the details check out  Phuket Sandbox: Would you, should you, could you?   This month another southern island Koh Samui followed along. There are slightly different arrangements with guests to stay within their arrival hotel for three days before supplying a negative Covid test. This gives freedom to roam the island, after 7 days, visitors can also visit the islands of Koh Phangan and Koh Tao. For all the details check out: Welcome back to Thailand via Koh Samui plus All this as Thailand records the highest Covid numbers and death rates ever recorded and stricter measures have been released across the worst affected Provinces.  There is a plan for more of the country to open and the idea was for Thailand to fully reopen to vaccinat